Five Questions to Ask When Buying a New-Build Home
Monday September 12, 2022
The prospect of buying a new construction home comes with both excitement and questions! And since we’re in the business of providing beautiful new-build homes to homebuyers in California’s Central Valley, we’ve heard them all. Here are some of our more popular questions. If you have others, feel free to call our office any time, so we can help get you on the path to a brand-new home!
- Is the builder local to the community? A large national builder is always a comfortable choice but purchasing from a builder that lives and works in the community in which you’re planning to live is even better. They have their finger on the pulse of the neighborhoods you’re looking at and can give you the inside scoop on shopping areas, local restaurants, and schools. The staff can be a valuable resource for all the questions you have about the area since they live there too.
- Are appliances included? Because a new home is a huge investment, the thought of spending even more money on quality appliances can be financially daunting. Check with your builder to see what appliances and what brands, if any, come with the house.
- What are the standard finishes within the home? Ask the builder what type of flooring, paint colors, cabinets, countertops, etc., come standard with the purchase of your home and inquire about the ability to upgrade them if you decide to. Often homebuilders will have design centers with professional designers on staff. You can confer with them to determine what features you can add that will contribute to the design aesthetic of your house – making it perfect for you and your family from the get-go!
- Do they offer energy saving features? Especially today, energy saving features are crucial to not only the planet but also your pocketbook! Look for features such as LED lighting, weather stripping around doors and windows, dual glazed Low-E windows, ample insulation, programmable thermostats, etc. As a bonus, see if the home is plumbed and wired for solar and EV charging.
- What kind of warranties will I receive? Inquire about how long your new home is warrantied for – two years is a good amount of time – and ask in advance if you can see a copy of the homeowner manual, so you can research individual warranties for installed items such as appliances, fireplaces, HVAC, etc.
If you are searching for a new home, San Joaquin Valley Homes is still busy building homes throughout the Central Valley. Our model homes are open daily and virtual tours are available on our website for your convenience. Our model hours are Sunday and Monday 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Visit www.sjvhomes.com for more information.